2011년 12월 10일 토요일

[Reading Journal + Movies]Blossoming Hope, Falling From Innocence and Friends


‘I drove out, parked, and cried for him(p.435)’
This is the part which moved me the most both in the book and the movie. Of course, the part where Chris, in the movie Gordie held gun and won the body over the threatening gangs was impressive and all the adventures were interesting. However, I believe no other words describe better about the sincere friendship Gordie and Chris had than that line. The movie also starts by showing Gordie crying for Chris in the car. There are many differences between the book and the movie, but to choose one big difference, I think the movie was more sincere in portraying the relationship between Chris and Gordie.
Chris and Gordie were close to each other in the book as well. However, in the book, the author focused more on the four boys all together. In contrast to the book, the movie kind of grouped the boys into two: Chris and Gordie, Vern and Teddy. The movie frequently showed the boys walking in two groups, keeping certain distance to each groups.
I believe this journey was an opportunity for Chris and Gordie to grow closer to each other. If it were not for the journey, I don’t think these two boys would have come up with a time to talk about serious things such as the milk money, about junior high school and of friends drowning you down. Also, they got to depend more on each other because they overcame hardships and challenges throughout the journey together. It must be true that all three friends must have meant a lot to young Gordie as he says “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?(p.341).” But to specify, Gordie must have felt more than just friendship towards Chris, an ‘emotion which speech destroys.’
This reminded me of ‘The Shawshank Redemption’ movie I saw few months ago. It was also based on the story ‘The Shawshank Redemption and Rita Hayworth’ I was also impressed by the special friendship between Andy and Red. They were kind of like teachers to each other. Andy learned how to cope with the world along with the tremendous plan inside his head, and Red learned ‘hope’. The movie ends with Red and Andy meeting at the beach where Andy also dreamed of having his hotel there. It meant much more than just a reunion of old friends to me. It was as if the hope Andy gave to Red was being proved. It was like hope blossoming in the spring.
Every time I read stories of King and watched the movies I was surprised and at the same time glad that I had the opportunity to read his stories. I will continue reading on the remaining two sections of the book. Thank you Mr. Garrioch for recommending such wonderful stories!:)

    

Friendship

댓글 1개:

  1. You are very welcome! Thank you for enjoying them and writing wonderful posts about them. Friendship is definitely prevalent as a theme in Shawshank and The Body, and maybe even in Apt Pupil? I'm curious to know what students think of that one, as most who read the entire book think it's the most exciting story. It's more of a thriller than anything.

    Good post as usual.

    답글삭제